4.13.2009

R.I.P. Harry Kalas



I met Harry several times as a kid. He was the same guy out of the booth as he was in it.

"Therrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre's young Misssssssster Waaaaaaaaaaade". He made me feel like a million bucks 1) because he remembered me, and he remembered everyone and 2) because he not only said my name but CALLED it, like I had just hit a home run.

The thrill of my life was being (re)introduced to #20 but by Harry. "Mr. Wade, do you know this guy? Say hello to Michael...... Jack..... Schmidt."

Rest in peace Harry. And say hi to Whitey Ashburn.

CSN tribute to Harry Kalas, check out the call of Schmidt's 500th, around the 4:50 mark. Full screen it:



and.... The Call

1 comment:

Brian said...

I am so envious when I hear your Phillies' stories, Chris.

Harry seemed like a genuinely cool guy.

Man, is he going to be missed...