8.14.2009

Eagles flush reputation, sign Vick

For the first time ever, I seriously question my team. I've been a season ticket holder for over a decade and I am humiliated to be an Eagles fan.

On initial inspection, there are three main issues:

Number one - he did pay his debt to society, but I don't want my team having guys with no, or worse bad character on it. Let him rehabilitate his image working in an inner-city youth football program.

Number two - can anyone say distraction? Didn't the Eagles learn from the T.O. mess how hard it can be to deal with distraction?

How is it going to go over when Vick gets as much attention for sitting on the bench eating a Powerbar (which is all he can do for the first 6 games) as McNabb does for actually playing?

And what happens when #5 lays one of his bound-to-happen eggs and the whole stadium starts chanting to bring in ol' Ron Mexico?

Number three - Great, now we're a gadget team? Fan-****ing-tastic.

This sucks. This is worse than when we almost signed Deion Sanders 15 years ago. It's worse because we got the player this time.

Vick doesn't deserve to wear this number.

If this blows up in our faces, Reid and Banner's deserve to be fired.

I've been thinking about two other players, Donte Stallworth and Leonard Little, two NFL players involved in drunk driving accidents that killed someone. My point on Vick is a little finer.

As I said, Vick did do his time and deserves a second chance.... in society. No scarlet letters, no hairshirts. I believe that. But I believe he is a fundamentally flawed human for reasons I'll list in a second.

Although he deserves a shot at society doesn't mean he necessarily deserves a second chance at the NFL and it's millions of dollars. But he is getting it and I'm annoyed that my team is in any way participating.

Here, to me, is the difference between Vick and Stallworth and Little.

Stallworth made a bad judgment. He drank and drove and someone died. He screwed up big time, no doubt.

Little did the same thing - twice, so he goes up a notch from Stallworth and that he's never been properly punished is an outrage. that he's still in the NFL is wrong.

But Vick made a running set of not bad, but evil decisions. While Stallworth and Little made bad judgments in the moment, Vick's bad decisions and evil actions continued for years.

I'm not a PETA-hugging "dogs are worth the same as humans" guy. They're not, IMO. But anyone who makes a whole series of on-going choices to torture and bankroll the torture of another creature - choices that run for years - is evil.

Or better yet, he is a defective human being. Defective, broken, bad, murderous, evil.

And I don't want my beloved Eagles associated with that type of person.

Vick deserves a chance in society but my Eagles owed him no such opportunity. They sold out character for athletic ability - no John Doe on the street would get this chance. They flushed their reputation and disrespected their fans.

I am pissed. I am embarrassed and I'm finding it hard to root for my team - for the first time in my life I'm finding it hard to bleed green.

Screw Vick.

Screw Reid.

Screw Lurie and

Screw my Eagles.

No comments: